7.62x54r.net Forums
July 23, 2014, 01:06:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: B Barrel: M39 or M91?  (Read 1061 times)
Pahtu

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 07:56:27 AM »

BTW - I believe as far as rarity goes - I believe the production #'s are less for the B Barrel M91's, somewhere around 5000 or so left.

I had a nice M39 B Barrel - I sold it off as well, just did not care for it.... Huh

Pahtu.

I do not quote famous people, famous people quote me.....Wink
littlestoney406
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 02:19:35 PM »

That's pretty nice Pahtu, round receiver B barrel. Defiantly don't see one of those everyday. 
JB25

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 02:36:42 PM »

That's pretty nice Pahtu, round receiver B barrel. Defiantly don't see one of those everyday. 
You can say that again.
Nice grab Pahtu.
A round non-B is a 9 itself right?
That is impressive.
Has anyone ever heard of a B/VKT/Liege proof on a round receiver???
Or am I just getting greedy now  Wink

Finncollect

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 02:55:14 PM »

When the Finnish Army assembled their M-39 rifles a Kuopio Army depot, they used only the best Czar/Soviet parts in the rifles. In Finland is generally know the Czar made receiver is made from superior steel, compared to Communist materal. On gun collector in Oulu, told me that round receivers are generally scrap material.
When the Finnish Army made up their M-85 sniper rifle, they had to check thousands of Czar era receivers to make the M-85. In Finland there are M-91 receivers for sale, even at commerical army surplus stores, but I cannot remember seeing 1 round receiver for sale.
M-91/30 Finnish rebuilds were an other matter. They used any thing, and everything. Most sat in storage for years and sold out of the country.
 Smiley
7.62x54r
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 03:02:13 PM »

Finland acquired many more rifles with hex receivers (everything they captured, purchased, or traded for prior to the Winter War) than they did round receivers (only what they captured during the Winter and Continuation Wars or acquired from Germany during WWII). All the round receiver Mosins were relatively new (no more than 10 years old) and hadn't served nearly as long as many of the hex receiver rifles acquired in the '20s and '30s. For this reason many were still serviceable with their original barrels and weren't stripped for parts and used to build new rifles with Finnish made barrels. That is the explanation for the overwhelming prevalence of hex receivers on Finnish rifles.

Mixing sarcasm, humor, and brutal honesty online in a dogmatic, conceited and condescending manner since 1998.

7.62x54r.net
Pahtu

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 06:23:02 PM »

You can say that again.
Nice grab Pahtu.
That is impressive.
Or am I just getting greedy now  Wink

No, I have not heard about such a gun.  I suppose it is possible - I have seen for sale, a round receiver B Barrel M39(online sale)

The day I find one(B VKT Liege round receiver)) reasonably priced, is the day this one is sold  Grin

Pahtu.

* 1.JPG (138.36 KB, 640x480 - viewed 19 times.)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:26:20 PM by Pahtu » Logged

littlestoney406
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 08:17:13 PM »

You can say that again.
Nice grab Pahtu.
That is impressive.
Or am I just getting greedy now  Wink

No, I have not heard about such a gun.  I suppose it is possible - I have seen for sale, a round receiver B Barrel M39(online sale)

The day I find one(B VKT Liege round receiver)) reasonably priced, is the day this one is sold  Grin

Pahtu.

Mine rolled out about 570 in front of yours.
airbornetrooper

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 09:51:57 PM »

Wow. That's all I can say Pahtu. I would sell off large parts of my collection for a piece like that! Can't be more than a few of those out there...

Why yes, I do jump out of perfectly good airplanes.
Finncollect

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2011, 06:24:04 AM »

Yes, there were more hex receiver very early in the Continuation War time frame, however Palokangas states that 28,000 M-91/30's were captured in the Winter War, 128,079 M-91/30's captured in the Continuation War, and approx 57,000 bought from Germany in 1944. Palokangas also states, that most of the German purchase M-91/30's were in poor condition and were used as parts to assemble M-91/30's with Tikkakoski barrels and for spare parts.
With all those round receivers in the hands of the Finnish Army, late in WW-2 they were only used to build up M-91/30 rifles. The Finn's knew that the Czar Hex receiver was a better made product, and all the post war M-39's, and M-85 sniper rifles used that receiver. Personally before I was to spend big bucks on a round receiver M-39, I would examine it very carefully, that can easly be faked by swapping out a M-91/30 round receiver.
7.62x54r
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 06:47:35 AM »

Not all of the 28,000, 128,079, and 57,000 M91/30s were round receivers.

57,000 rifles is not a lot in the whole scheme of things, even for Finland. It makes sense that they were used to assemble the Tikkakoski M91/30s since those were built late in the war or even post war and had many compatible parts such as stocks, handguards, barrel bands, sights, etc. Why ship the round receivers somewhere else when you were using the rest of the parts right there? In spite of that some round receivers were used to build B barrel M91s and M39s. In my collection I also have a round receiver VKT M91 and a 1936 hex receiver Sako M39 which is not a "Czar receiver".

It only makes sense that the M85 was built on one type of receiver, and the more common of the two, simply for scope mount consistency.

Mixing sarcasm, humor, and brutal honesty online in a dogmatic, conceited and condescending manner since 1998.

7.62x54r.net
Pahtu

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011, 06:54:15 AM »

In my collection I also have a round receiver VKT M91 and a 1936 hex receiver Sako M39

Interesting - I have not seen a round receiver VKT M91 Smiley

Pahtu.

Finncollect

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 07:49:47 AM »

Looking at what is currently for sale in Finland, such as the Swedish Army Shop in Lappeenranta Finland. There are many many more hex receivers for sale. I am not sure, but maybe they were scraped years ago. Wartime Soviet manufacturing was not of the highest quality.
 Smiley
7.62x54r
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 08:17:08 AM »

Of course there are many more hex receivers for sale.

1. Finland had more hex receivers.
2. Round receiver rifles acquired by Finland were not in as bad a shape to have to be parted out.
3. Many round receiver rifles that were parted out were built back into M91/30s with Tikkakoski barrels.

Besides not all of the M91/30s acquired (captured directly or through Germany) being round receivers, not all the round receivers were wartime production. This is especially true of the Winter War captured M91/30s which should be considered "pre-war" production even if they were made after November 30th 1939 since the Soviet Union was not under "wartime pressure" as they were after June 22nd 1941.

7.62x54r.net
zeebill
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 08:34:35 AM »

Many, many years ago the very first Finnish Mosin I ever bought was a B barrel. It is and was in dang near perfect shape and if I remeber right I paid $155 for it back then because it looked so, so brand new and pristine.  It is a great shooter and I take it out for an airing every once in awhile just to stretch its legs a bit. I remember when I bought it I had little idea of what it was and asked quite a few questions. I had been lurking for many years on many different arms sights but was interested mostly in American made arms back in those days with German mausers as a side interest.  With all the fakes starting to appear back then in those areas I launched myself into the Finnish weapons.  Man if I had only known I had opened Pandora's Box maybe I would have shut the lid right then and there?  Nah I enjoyed every minute so far and look forward for maore to come.  Bill  Grin
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: