7.62x54r.net Forums
April 19, 2015, 05:45:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: reloading 7.62x54  (Read 1023 times)
alaskan9974
« on: April 27, 2010, 09:52:58 PM »

I am interested in reloading for my rifle. I have never reloaded before but I am familiar with the process and am not new to shooting. I would like to have more control over what I feed my rifle and it seems economical in the long run. What equipment do you guys use. My favorite to shoot are the 150gr loads for medium size game. I Have researched the loads to use I just want to see what you guys are using and what you reccommend for reloading. I have about 700 or so I can spend on equipment and such.
wadunit1

I'll be nicer, if you'll be smarter !!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 11:28:22 PM »

I have the Lee Anniversary kit plus their single stage press that comes with the book ... Everything you need to know is in the Lee 2nd edition book ... Insert disclaimer here, but I have found that the loads listed in the Lee book work better in my gun than surplus ammo does ... I bought the RCBS set of dies because they come with a .310 mandrel where the Lee set only has the .308 mandrel ... Slug your barrel to see what size bullet you need ... I have had good luck with the .303 British bullets ...

Shoot Well !!!
alaskan9974
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 12:41:33 AM »

Ok, thanks, I get a little picky with ammo that I run through and have come across even some iffy factory loads, while cheap I don't like to run surplus loads.
paradad82

"FINNATIC"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:08:33 AM »

Ok, thanks, I get a little picky with ammo that I run through and have come across even some iffy factory loads, while cheap I don't like to run surplus loads.

If you are using a Mosin Nagant model rifle, then that is what surplus 7.62x54R was specifically designed for. Even if it is corrosive. You just need to make sure you clean the rifle after using it.  Grin

Voit voittaa sinun täytyy käyttää suomalainen!
Valkoisen Kuoleman Kiväärit Sotilaskivääri M/28-30!
fernleaf
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 02:44:26 AM »

Buy the best reloading equipment you can afford. I bought a Lyman kit about seven years ago and have upgraded scales to a Redding set. All my dies are Redding.

My first reloading kit was a Lee and I ended up replacing a lot of the gear that it came with after about six months - I won't buy Lee stuff again.

As mentioned above - slug your barrel to determine the correct bullets to use. I only own Finnish Mosins, and none of them have a bore over .3095. I shoot .309 170 or 185 grain Lapuas (cheaper than Sierra here) exclusively.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: